Monday, February 10, 2014

A Love Story (Part 1): Our First Date

As Valentines Day approaches, I've been thinking about my own love and the amazing man I've had the privilege to marry.   You see, we do have a pretty special story, yet I'm not sure I've ever recorded it.  We'll be breaking it into multiple posts since it's pretty lengthy, but I wanted to offer as much detail as possible - for posterity sake. I figure maybe you'll be entertained by coming along for a ride.

So our story started in January of 2008, with me living back at home and working (like a dog) for the Girl Scouts.  I'd graduated a year previously, and with my graduation came the close of a two year relationship.  Working in an all female company for an all female clientele - I wasn't meeting any guys at work and really did't have the interest of meeting a guy in a bar.  I'd dated guys from my church before, but their attitudes of women didn't jive with my liberated ways.

It seemed pretty natural to turn to the internet as a potential place to meet someone - although I wasn't convinced that Prince Charming had posted a profile there.  After dabbling with eharmony (it felt like too many hoops for me), I turned to match.com to see who I might find.

I met Dan in January of 2008.  After looking through profiles of Pittsburgh guys, Dan's profile had caught my eye.  His headline read "Looking for a Nice Girl."  He had a handsome smile, and looked like a sweet guy.  Reading through his profile, he seemed so genuine and like a truly "nice guy."  My first impressions were right on.  I "winked" at him, and it wasn't long before he messaged me back.

Our Match.com Profile Pictures - circa 2008

We started talking online, became facebook friends, and just "clicked."  It's been six years, and the first voice mail he ever left me is still saved on my cell phone.  I've listened to it a million times, always smiling at how fond I've become of that once unfamiliar voice.  We scheduled our first date - dinner and a movie.  It all happened so quickly from our first interactions.

We decided to meet at Pittsburgh Mills Mall.  We would see Charlie Wilson's War and have dinner at Houlihans.  I remember walking through the doors and recognizing him immediately - he looked right at me and looked away.  WHAT??? He's lucky I didn't decide to walk right past, but I couldn't resist his really stylish shoes - silly I know, but one of my most vivid memories was thinking that he had some style.  What I didn't realize, was that Dan and I were the same height.  It had never come up, and I towered in chunky heels.  An interesting movie turned into dinner.

He was such a quiet guy - I honestly wasn't sure how the date was going!  We talked about work and our families.  I remember him first mentioning his brothers, moving from New York, and discovering that he had been an Eagle Scout.  "Maybe we can go camping together sometime" he suggested.  In my mind I was thinking it would never happen.  I can't put my finger on why, but that first date, I didn't think he was interested.  I actually didn't think that we'd ever see each other again.  Maybe it was because he seemed so "put together" and 23 year old me (still living at home) didn't feel like I was in the same league.

He walked me to my car, hand in hand, and said something along the lines of "I had a really nice time tonight, and would love to see you again soon."  Who would have thought that this simple but polite statement would melt my heart and be the very start of a lifetime together.

Our "Love Story" continues here!

Our whole story:
Part One: Our First Date
Part Two: In the Beginning
Part Three: Whirl Wind Romance
Part Four: Becoming Family

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below.

=