Thursday, January 30, 2014

Single Mom Salute

Dan recently traveled to Puerto Rico to celebrate his brother's bachelor party - leaving us for three long nights.  Of course, my wonderful mom was here, but it's not quite the same.  The experience left me tired, and so thankful and appreciative for all of the support he provides.

From being Mr. Clean, to helping get the kids dinner, to handling the dogs, and getting the kids ready for bed - he is a HUGE help in making our day successful.  Even having a dishwasher full of clean sippy cups can make your morning go well (and in contrast, a sink full of dirty cups and thirsty kids makes it not so easy).  I realized it's the little things that really show what a parenting team we are.

I was doing it all - breakfast to bedtime - with the extra chores of dogs, laundry, garbage, and even shoveling the driveway.  To make matters worse, Brayden had quite the stomach bug with cleanup duties on both ends.

I know I have been truly BLESSED to have a husband like Dan, and with any luck, I'll be posting our whole "love story" for posterity sake sometime before Valentine's Day.  It is such a dark contrast though when he's gone that I realize how spoiled I am!

It's gotten me thinking about all the single moms out there, and the military spouses who are acting as both Mom and Dad when their partner is away.  You have my absolute and utmost respect.  I am honestly not sure I could do what you do and still have the energy to have patience and kindness for my kids.  You're amazing...

I remember worrying last year that Dan would be going on a business trip to China for a week, and was venting to some friends about my fears.  A number of them were active military wives who had been without their spouses much longer than my measly week, and while I first had my back up a little at their dismissal of my worries - I do understand that my small bits of solitary parenting are nothing in comparison with long deployments.  I do know though, that I stink at handling this alone, and it just reinforces my appreciation for all that military families give up for our country.

In the near future, unfortunately, we'll be without him again.  He'll be traveling to the Virgin Islands for his brother's wedding and I'll be here with the kids for five nights.  It just wasn't feasible to take two kids to a tropical island (especially in covering the cost of two additional plane tickets, finagling an attempt to keep them quiet and calm during the ceremony alone, plus it's not a great idea for our delayed vaccination kiddos) - nor did it make sense for me to leave them here with Mom while we both went.  I might be a bit of a worrier "logical voice of reason and concern" but I hesitate to go anywhere so remote that I might not be able to get home within 24 hours should my kids need me.

I'm sure we'll make it through alright.  With any luck the weather will have warmed just enough to allow us to leave our little hibernation cave and get out into the sunshine.  In the meantime, we are all SURELY glad to have him back home.

Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog DirectoryI'm A Top Twin & Multiple Blogger @ Top Mommy Blogs - Please Click To Give Me A Vote

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below.

=