Thursday, August 15, 2013

My Favorite No Bean Chili Recipe

It was only in the mid 50's this morning here in Pittsburgh - such strange weather for August!  We dressed in long sleeves  and jeans, with pairs of summer abomination - socks.  In honor of the chilly weather, I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes I've recently fallen in love with - No Bean Chili.

I never grew up eating chili as I didn't (and still don't) like beans.  After discovering this recipe, it's become a family favorite - one I even like to enjoy while I'm on my Weight Watchers wagon.
Delicious No Bean Chili Recipe!  Fall Food



Heather's No Bean Chili

My recipe is base on the one found here but with a few extras thrown in.

1 lb Ground Beef
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 T Red Pepper Flakes (or more to taste)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 T Dried Oregano
2 T Chili Powder
2 T Frank's Red Hot
BKW Steak Seasoning (optional)
1 Can (28 oz) Crushed Tomatoes
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
1/4 c Red Wine Vinegar

Suggested Toppings Frito's, (Light) Sour Cream, additional fresh chopped onion, (light) cheddar cheese

First, brown the ground meat in the bottom of a dutch oven, adding onion and garlic when almost cooked through.  Season the meat with the Red Pepper Flakes, Salt and Pepper (I do 5 cranks) Chili Powder, Oregano and Red Hot stirring to coat evenly.  Add the Crushed Tomatoes and Diced Tomatoes (with the juice) and vinegar, stirring to combine.  Bring to a boil then turn to low and simmer for as long as you can stand to wait - at least 20 minutes.  

My recipe removed the Cumin from the original recipe, and adds red pepper flakes and diced tomatoes.  I like the extra spice and heartiness!  I also add some steak seasoning from time to time.  It definitely adds a little something, but it's delicious without as well. 


I recommend loading it up with lots of toppings mentioned above.  If you're watching your calories, by using low fat beef, light sour cream and light cheese, you have a "point" friendly dinner that will really fill you up!   




Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog DirectoryI'm A Top Twin & Multiple Blogger @ Top Mommy Blogs - Please Click To Give Me A Vote

1 comment:

  1. This looks sooo tasty! mmm im definitely hungry lol! Im not a big fan of beans though either!

    Lorraine xx
    http://lollikelly.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below.

=