Monday, March 10, 2014

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole Recipe

Are you looking for a simple and easy Guacamole recipe?  I think I have just the one for you - as we get ready to celebrate the season of green!

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole


I'd never had guacamole for the first twenty-eight or so years of my life.  I'd even "hold the guac" on my Chipotle burritos - but I've seen the light!  Now I'm addicted and mixing up a batch as often as possible.

My recipe is based loosely on Rick Bayless's Frontera cook book but I've added a few of my own little twists.


First, I start with two or three ripe avocados.  Ripe avocados are dark green, and soft but not too squishy.  Worried that it might be too ripe?  Here's a great guide for picking the perfect "fruit."  

Easy Guacamole Recipe

Most people find the easiest way to get the deliciously buttery pulp from it's shell is to cut the fruit vertically in half, rotating around when you get to the hard pit in the center.  If you do this delicately, and cut around the pit, you should be able to twist and pull apart very easily.

Easy Guacamole Recipe

Scoop all the pulp out of the shell, and then use a fork to mash gently.  Now it's time to add in some veggies!

Easy Guacamole Recipe

So I do about two good sized tomatoes and a medium-large red onion.  Dice these small.  If you don't know how to dice tomatoes and onions, I really recommend this tutorial - it makes it a breeze!

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole Recipe

Next I add a jalapeno. Now I was pretty apprehensive about working with these guys at first too - but don't be!  I do use rubber gloves just to keep the juice from causing disasters in my eyes (since I'm a clutz and would forget).  First chop off the top with the stem, then slice in half.  Using your index finger, remove whatever pulp and seeds are inside the pepper.  I do this in the sink while running cool water over it to help loosen things up and wash away the seeds.  In the picture, the bottom half has been de-seeded and the one on the left has yet to be done.  This is important to do in order that it won't be too spicy - the seeds carry the real kick!  Once the pepper is cleaned out, just cut to strips and dice into teeny-tiny pieces.

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole Recipe

Finely chop and add a fistful of fresh cilantro.  MMMMmmm even the smell is delicious!

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole Recipe

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole Recipe


Lastly, squeeze in half a lime (or more to taste) and mix it all up.  The finishing touch - give it a few good cranks (or shakes) of salt.  It'll definitely bring out all the delicious flavors in this yummy appetizer!

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole Recipe

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole Recipe

There you have it!  Serve with a side of tortilla chips and perhaps a fabulous frozen margarita for a fresh (and festive) party favorite!

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole Recipe


And one last thing, if you don't already know - guacamole browns if it's exposed to air!  If you're not serving immediately, be sure to put a layer of plastic wrap on top of your bowl, and push in right to the surface to keep it all covered.  Enjoy!

Simple and Delicious Homemade Guacamole

Ingredients: 
2 or 3 Ripe Hoss Avocados
2 Large Tomatoes
1 Large Red Onion
1 Jalapeno Pepper
"Fistful" of Fresh Cilantro
1 Lime
Salt

1 - Cut and scoop out avocado pulp from skin.  Mash in large bowl.
2 - Finely chop tomatoes and onion, adding to the avocado.
3 - Remove seeds from and very finely chop the jalapeno pepper.  Add to mixture.
4 - Chop one fistful of fresh cilantro and add to mixture..
5 - Squeeze and add the juice with at least one half lime.
6 - Add salt (about 1/4-1/2 t depending on taste).  Also add additional lime to taste if needed.



Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog DirectoryI'm A Top Twin & Multiple Blogger @ Top Mommy Blogs - Please Click To Give Me A Vote

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below.

=