Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sand in my Suit


Dan and I have been coming to the beach ever since we started dating - first to Virginia beach, and starting in 2011 (our "babymoon") to Myrtle. I first thought bringing infant and now toddler twins was a bad idea - they'd be terrors eating sand, needing naps, crying at the restaurants, and the sheer amount of STUFF that comes with twins.

I'm happy to admit how wrong I was. Last year's trip was a success due in part to my amazing parents, giving us double the hands for handling two. Now that they're running and so alert, it has been such a joy watching them discover and fall in love with our favorite place - the beach. 

I had worried that having the babies here would diminish my own enjoyment. I'm glad to say, that I have had more fun playing in the sand and swimming in the pool with them than I ever did relaxing alone. Seeing their faces light up with each new experience is pure perfection. This is that joyful part of Motherhood.
And yes, they eat sand, but meh - it won't kill them. They threw a fit at dinner, so we got out their Crayola boards and the tablet. The car was packed to the brim, but all the gear made it here. We've gotten beyond surviving - we're thriving.

Sometimes I don't like to get dirty or messy or wet. I'm thrilled to see a change in myself, where I'm letting go of my own desires because I just can't help but want to be part of whatever it is they're doing. My "high maintenance" needs going by the way side.

Today I had sand in my suit - something I haven't had since I was probably building my own sand castles as a kid. But I didn't care one bit. Playing along side of them was worth every bit.
This has been a long time coming...

1 comment:

  1. Got referred to your blog from Becky from Railroad Mama. Happy to meet another mom with toddlers who blog although you have a bit more than me with your two. Sometimes you just have to let go and let them be babies and enjoy themselves. I stopped thinking about Madison getting dirty in her brand new outfit etc, my thing now is oh well thank goodness for the washing machine. Only too happy to vote for you in the top baby and on the fence as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below.

=